Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Is it really worth it?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Is it really worth it?
Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm referring to getting a Mac solely for OCR and general office work. If you use it for digital media, I can see it being a good investment as there's some fantastic software on that platform. I've heard that even Photoshop works a lot better but if you're doing just OCR, it seems to me that a Windows PC is a much cheaper and better investment. Yeah you do have to deal with viruses once in a while but if you're just scanning your own documents you should be fine, when you have other people downloading stuff off the Internet is when you have to worry.

Any Mac users who use it solely for OCR beg to differ?
Roy304
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Most Mac users rely on the stable platform of Mac. I don't think that they will use Mac solely for OCR applications. I'm not a Mac user but I would say that the users of Mac will have less problems when using this system compare to other operating systems.
Gary
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
Unless you've got rather a lot of disposable income, I wouldn't buy any computer just for a single application. If a single piece of Mac-exclusive software is so important to you, then you might want to look into getting a Mac OS emulator so you can just buy the software and run it on your PC. (However, if you do decide to do this, you might want to do some research first. It's in something of a legal grey area; right now I can't find anything online that gives a definite yes or no answer as to whether it's kosher, but you might want to ask someone.)
AngieBeFree
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -10
OS that are not Mac can have OCR systems that is reliable just like with the Mac system. We only need to search for that kind of OCR to do what it's supposed to do. We don't necessarily need Mac to get a reliable OCR software.
Billy
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I don't know much about it, but maybe there's a specific program that fulfills exactly what zie needs, but it's only available on the Mac OS? I've had that trouble with a lot of programs, to be honest. (For example, Scrivener is an application for novelists which everyone raves about. Unfortunately, it's Mac-only)
kittcrazy
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Re:Is it really worth it? 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
I would say that go with what you are comfortable in using. There are many debates whether a software used in Mac is better than using it in Windows. If can afford Mac then buy it.
Ethan
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop