Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

CAPTCHA
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Post your general questions about OCR here.
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: CAPTCHA
CAPTCHA 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Can OCR software read distorted letters of CAPTCHA? If so, I am afraid spammers will make good use of it. They may integrate the software into their spam machine to read the CAPTCHA test and fill the appropriate letters in the provided form of the websites, blogs of forums they want to spam.
Anton
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:CAPTCHA 7 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
I don't think that OCR can decipher CAPTCHA codes. Most of the characters are distorted and there are some other factors lines, shapes, and colors that the OCR will have a hard time distinguishing the correct character.
DJohn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:CAPTCHA 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
The OCR Research Team at ocr-research.org.ua claim to break CAPTCHAs. They also sell the source code of their solution.

Obviously they do this to show weaknesses of popular CAPTCHAs and to promote their own tEABAG_3D CAPTCHA solution which according to the team is much safer.

Both their CAPTCHA breaking and CAPTCHA creating solutions are written in PHP and are available for buying.
brattt
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:CAPTCHA 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I had not heard of this company before but it doesn't really surprise me that they managed to crack most popular CAPTCHAs as it was bound to happen. On the bright side, I'd say the average spammer doesn't have access to such tools at the moment so it's not something to worry too much in my opinion unless you're using a really outdated CAPTCHA solution.
Roy304
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:CAPTCHA 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -2
brattt wrote:
The OCR Research Team at ocr-research.org.ua claim to break CAPTCHAs. They also sell the source code of their solution.

Obviously they do this to show weaknesses of popular CAPTCHAs and to promote their own tEABAG_3D CAPTCHA solution which according to the team is much safer.

Both their CAPTCHA breaking and CAPTCHA creating solutions are written in PHP and are available for buying.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the link. I just visited it and I like the 3D CAPTCHA solution they build. The example they give (the letters "hMh") looks nice and easy to read for human visitors but difficult to decipher for machines.
Antigen
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:CAPTCHA 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -9
Roy304 wrote:
I had not heard of this company before but it doesn't really surprise me that they managed to crack most popular CAPTCHAs as it was bound to happen. On the bright side, I'd say the average spammer doesn't have access to such tools at the moment so it's not something to worry too much in my opinion unless you're using a really outdated CAPTCHA solution.

I think that OCR for CAPTCHA's are not for people but for bots that are automatically run to search and spam websites.

CAPTCHA's are becoming more trickier than before and many CAPTCHA's that I've seen employ questions rather than random letters and numbers.
Billy
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop